Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Trouble with Dessert-Part 4

"I always thought that she talked more then was good for her," said CiCi the next morning.
"CiCi, the woman just died. Have some respect for her, please!" said Mary
"I never really understood why we had to be nice to people we didn’t like once they died."
"I thought Kim and you were friends."
"No, she stole my man from me!"
"What man?"
"Ah, nobody. It is nothing to do with you. Yes, I am sorry about the death of Kim."
CiCi seemed to a 180 all of the sudden. Mary knew she needed to find out who this man, though she had a good idea as to his identity.
"Please, Miss Jinkins can you come with me," said a police officer. She seemed to be friendly enough. She just asked Mary how well she knew Kim. Since Mary only saw Kim at work, the questioning was soon over. Mary called Pete to tell him that she was done. They made a plan the night before, to meet up and continue with their original idea. However, it was a little changed with the death of Kim. How did she fit in with Mr. Cragicze? Of course, maybe his background would help them out a little bit.
"It was suppose to be Mr. Hughs," she said as soon as she saw Pete.
"Hello, I am good. Oh, really that is what they asked you?"
"Stop it, the questions were basic. How well did I know Kim? Did I know who her boyfriend was?"
"Do you?"
"What?""Do you know who her boyfriend was?""No, but I believe it might have been Mr. Hughs," she went on to tell him about what CiCi had said. "remember, that is who he was having lunch with the day Mr. Cragicze died."
"True. I think maybe we should just check into Mr. Cragicze a little bit before we completely rule him out.""Why are you so bent on this murder being about Mr. Cragicze?"
"I don’t know, maybe because he was the one killed. You don’t put some one in a bunch of Jell-O and not know who they are."
"That’s true. It doesn’t seem to make sense."
"Let’s go see if we can find out something that will help."
Pete took her to a corner coffee shop.
"What are we doing here?""They have free Wi-Fi."
"Ah, the Internet. Wait, why didn’t we check the Internet last night?"
"I thought about it, however after you found out about Kim it didn’t seem appropriate."
"Ah, thank you for that kindness."
"I did, though, go home and check it out some stuff myself. Basically, Mr. Cragicze was a workaholic. All his life, he’s excelled at what ever he does. He seemed to want one thing. That was to own the company."
"Why? Why not start his own company if he was so good?""That is what we are going to find out right now.""What about family and personal life?""He had neither. His sole purpose was take over.""From the beginning, all the way through high school and college. Or was it a goal once he started working for this company?"
"I am not positive, but I believe that it was from the beginning. Maybe not high school, yet definitely by college."
"Now, he’s ‘dating’ the other owner. He had almost accomplished his goal," Mary whispered the last few words.
"I know. That is another reason I believe he may have been the intended target."
"I am starting to think the same thing. Mr. Hughs was just love, on the other hand Mr. Cragicze is greed. It’s hard to say which is a stronger motive."
"It depends on the depth of either emotion. Mary, do you know exactly what your company does?"
"Honestly, not really. I just arrange travel and business things for Mr. Hughs. Kim handles actual company business, uh! That could be the connection!"
"Look at this," Pete turned the laptop in Mary’s direction.
He had been researching the whole time they were talking.
"That is the company’s WebPages. What does it say we do?"
"Look close, it doesn’t say exactly,""We are going to revolutionize this world with our bold innovative ideas," Mary read to herself, then turned to Pete, "the doesn’t tell us anything."
"I know. I think it is a front for something else.""What?""I don’t know. I am willing to bet though that it is something not quite right."
"You don’t mean criminal.""That’s exactly what I mean."

No comments: