Friday, May 30, 2008

The Trouble with Dessert-Part 3

"I wonder if the wrong person died," Mary was talking to her best friend, Pete, later that evening.
"What do you mean?"
"I think that maybe Mr. Hughs may have been the target."
"You are basing that on your own opinion. You have no proof."
"Says the policeman."
Pete worked for the local police department. He worked a desk job, but he took the policeman’s handbook very seriously.
"I mean it, Mary."
"It doesn’t make sense."
"Why not? Mr. Hughs wanted Mr. Cragicze dead."
"Not more than his wife."
"That is true. Maybe there is a bigger picture here. We are basing this on a small part of Mr. Cragicze life. Does he have a wife?"
"I’m not sure."
"Mary, you need a lot more information."
"Easy. I can go find out some background stuff on the Internet."
"Fine. It won’t tell us everything though."
"How do you figure?"
"What kind of person was Mr. Cragicze?"
"I don’t know. I didn’t see him very often. Mostly, he just came into see Mr. Hughs. He was always polite to me."
"What we need to do is find out a little bit of background information on him, then go talk to those who know him."
"We?"
"Yes, I want to help you. Don’t worry, I won’t interfere."
"I am not worried about that. What about our jobs? We do still have to work."
"That is true. I’m up for some vacation or I could use up one of my many saved sick days. Did you know that you could lose those if you don’t use them?!"
"You are getting a little off subject."
"Sorry, you can say you need time to get over the horror of seeing Mr. Cragicze’s dead eyes looking up at you."
"Thank you for bringing that image back to my mind."
"Good, go make that call now before it leaves."
"Such sensitivity on your part."
Mary went and made the call. She wasn’t going to admit it to Pete, but he came up with some good excuses. Mary felt a little strange calling Mr. Hughs with all that happened that day. She got over it though.
"What is it?" was his angry answer.
"Sorry, Mr. Hughs it’s Mary."
"Who?"
"Mary, your receptionist from the office."
"Oh, what do you want?"
"Well, I just wanted to request a few days off. I’m not doing so well after what happened today."
"That’s impossible."
"Excuse me? Mr. Hughs, I normally work like a dog for you because I need the income. However, I am not going to be subjected to seeing such a horrible sight and then expected just to come into the office the next day. As if nothing had happened!"
"Mary, the police are requiring that everyone comes into the office tomorrow.""Why we all gave our statements today?""Yes, but that was before the second murder."
"Second murder? What second murder?"
"Some receptionist was stabbed at her desk."
"Please, Mr. Hughs, what was the receptionist’s name?"
"How could I know? Alright, hold on let me ask my wife."
Mary waited while Mr. Hugh’s grumbled out a few words to the other person that was with him. Mary doubted highly that it was his wife.
"Mary, are you still there?"
"Yes, Mr. Hughs."
"She isn’t sure what the receptionist’s full name. She just knows that her first name was Kim."

No comments: